Alison E. Geddes
Property Management and Leasing
Alison Geddes is an attorney in Trainor Fairbrook’s Leasing and Property Management and Litigation Departments. Ms. Geddes understands the business of commercial property ownership and management and she works with clients to achieve results consistent with their business objectives in both drafting and enforcing commercial leases.
Ms. Geddes transactional practice includes representing property owners in negotiating and drafting commercial lease documents, including leases, amendments, assignments and termination agreements. Her commercial property management experience includes assisting owners and managers of retail, industrial, office and mixed-use property in all aspects of lease enforcement, including the analysis of lease compliance, the preparation and service of default notices to tenants, unlawful detainer litigation, breach of lease litigation, judgment enforcement, CAM disputes, and issues pertaining to abandonment of leased property tenants’ personal property.
Ms. Geddes is a panelist and speaker on leasing, lease enforcement and property management issues including seminars for the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) and seminars for Continuing Education of the Bar. Additionally, she provides seminars for clients on specific leasing and property management issues.
- Represents REITs holding more than 9 million square feet of retail and mixed-use commercial real estate with lease disputes, evictions, lease enforcement and obtaining and enforcing judgments.
- Represented multiple property owners with negotiation and drafting of commercial leases.
- Successfully negotiated and drafted a lease amendment enforceable by court judgment in litigation pertaining to commercial tenant's numerous lease defaults regarding completion of tenant improvements, failure to obtain licenses and permits and failure to pay rent.
- Successfully negotiated settlement agreement following a tenant’s abandonment of leased property wherein individual lease guarantors paid the landlord an amount equivalent to more than 21 monthly rent payments.
- Negotiated a lease termination agreement with a national restaurant chain tenant in which the tenant paid a termination fee equivalent to more than one year’s rent.
- Successfully opposed a retail anchor tenant’s motion to set aside default judgment and request for a stay of eviction in favor of the commercial landlord, enabling the landlord to quickly enter into a lease with a new tenant.
- Negotiated a successful settlement agreement on behalf of a regional REIT charged with a breach of lease by its tenant.
- Represented a commercial landlord’s interests in a dispute with a national retail anchor tenant regarding annual common area maintenance reconciliations.
- Successfully obtained court-issued prejudgment attachment liens upon real property owned by former tenants, prompting the successful early settlement of the action.
- Northern California Super Lawyer – Super Lawyers: 2021
- Top Lawyer – Sacramento Magazine: 2016-2021
- Best of the Bar – Sacramento Business Journal
- Member of the Year – CREW Sacramento: 2016
- Member – State Bar of California
- Member – Sacramento Bar Association, Real Property Law Section
- Member – Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Sacramento
- Board of Directors – CREW Sacramento: 2015-2019 (President - 2018, 2019)
- Member – California Lawyers Association
- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law
- B.A., University of Colorado
IN THE NEWS
Below are the most recent articles published featuring, referencing, or celebrating this attorney.
Executive Order Extends Local Governments Time Period to Halt Commercial Evictions Through March 31, 2021
REAL ESTATE BROKERS
Information Exchange for Sacramento area commercial real estate brokers
Stay informed with periodic bulletins