Construction and Litigation
Daniel M. Steinberg is the Managing Shareholder of Trainor Fairbrook, and the chair of the firm’s Construction Department. Mr. Steinberg’s practice focuses on construction and real property matters, including negotiation and preparation of construction documents and litigation of contract disputes, construction defect issues, mechanic’s liens, lease disputes, rent actions and ADA defense matters. He has extensive experience in the representation of developers, land owners, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals who seek guidance on construction projects and the resolution of claims that may arise before, during or after their project.
As a part of his practice, Mr. Steinberg is the lead construction counsel for one of the country’s most successful food concession companies, which has more than 38,000 employees throughout the United States and Canada. On behalf of another client Mr. Steinberg successfully recovered 20 million dollars from a Fortune 500 construction company and national architectural firm in a construction defect case which involved five years of litigation and three months of trial. His extensive construction background and previous work in the construction industry has contributed to his successful representation of Sacramento’s most prominent developers.
- Recovered in excess of $750,000 for a local construction company.
- Recovered $20 million from a Fortune 500 construction company and national architectural firm for the defective design and construction of a hotel casino expansion and construction of two restaurants and a warehouse.
- Recovered $98,000 for a local developer in a construction defect claim.
- Collected more than $250,000 in unpaid rents after trying a rent action to verdict.
- Recovered $500,000 in rent action against national tenant.
- Recovered in excess of $300,000 on a foreclosure of mechanic’s lien action.
- Recovered $1,800,000 for a local developer in a construction defect claim.
- Favorably resolved construction defect litigation for regional landowner against the general contractor in a $3,500,000 construction defect and delay claim.
- Recovered in excess of $100,000 on mechanic’s lien claims on behalf of subcontractor where land developer filed for bankruptcy and more than 25 other subcontractors were unable to collect on their lien claims.
- Defended major land developer/owner against lawsuit filed by design professional by establishing that the design professional failed to meet industry standards and fulfill its contractual obligations.
- Successfully defended $20 million land purchase dispute and pierced the corporate veil to recover attorneys’ fees from the individual claimant as part of Trainor Fairbrook’s defense team.
- Recovered $275,000 in judgments for general contractor against landowner who failed to pay contract obligations.
- Recovered in excess of $250,000 when tenant wrongfully terminated lease.
- Resolved/settled more than 75 ADA claims against landowners and property management companies
- Rated AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 25 Attorneys – Northern California Super Lawyers: 2016-2018
- Best of the Bar – Sacramento Business Journal:
- Top Lawyer – Sacramento Magazine: 2015-2018
- Super Lawyer – Northern California Super Lawyers: 2014-2018
- Top Rated Lawyer in Construction – AMLaw:
- Member – State Bar of California
- Judge Pro Tem – El Dorado County Superior Court
- Chair – Sacramento County Bar Association, Construction Section: 2017-2018
- Vice Chair – Sacramento County Bar Association, Construction Section: 2015-2016
- Fellow – Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Member – North State Building Industry Association
- Member – RECON Networking
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., California State University, Sacramento
IN THE NEWS
Below are the most recent articles published featuring, referencing, or celebrating this attorney.
REAL ESTATE BROKERS
Information Exchange for Sacramento area commercial real estate brokers
Stay informed with periodic bulletins