Candice B. Harper
Property Management and Leasing
Candy Harper is the chair of the Leasing and Property Management Practice. Ms. Harper’s practice includes the representation of parties, primarily landlords, in planning, negotiating and drafting a wide range of office, retail, industrial, cell tower and other commercial lease documents, including lease assignments and amendments. Having litigated lease issues for many years, Ms. Harper leverages her prior litigation experience when drafting leases. Ms. Harper also oversees the property management attorneys involved in lease enforcement and other real property litigation issues.
Ms. Harper is widely recognized for her knowledge of leasing and property management law. She has presented numerous seminars on leasing, lease enforcement and other property management issues, including seminars for the Continuing Education of the Bar, Lorman Education Services, Building Owners and Managers Association, Institute of Real Estate Management and the National Business Institute. Ms. Harper has also provided seminars for clients on specific lease or property management issues. Additionally, she has leveraged her expertise in her role as an instructor for the Building Owners and Managers Association’s college-level Law for Property Managers.
- Represented prominent local developer in negotiation for disposition of land to big box retailer, requiring the preparation of complex joint development agreements and ancillary documents for compliance with governmental requirements.
- Negotiated ground lease with national fast food chain and facilitated resolution of significant use restrictions concerning the property and involving local government and neighboring business owners.
- Represented national developers in connection with office building leases to the State of California in excess of 40,000 square feet.
- Represented owner/investor in disposition of 1,600+ acres of ranch land to environmental mitigation company.
- Represented both buyers and sellers in the negotiation and preparation of option contracts to acquire and dispose of land for future entitlement and development.
- Represented seller in disposition of adjoining retail properties and assumption of CMBS loans by the buyer.
- Prepared and negotiated extensive amendment to CC&Rs governing the use of commercial parking facility and multi-million dollar profit-sharing agreements between landowner and neighboring user.
- Represented landowner in acquisition of all assets from racquet club and fitness center tenant following leasing dispute.
- Represented international banking corporation in sale of 331 acres of REO property.
- Represented national property management company in dispute with multiple national retail tenants involving use and maintenance of common area in large shopping center under CC&Rs.
- Represented national real estate investment trust in complex lawsuit involving a winery operator, an agricultural equipment lender, a court appointed receiver and issues with attempts to conceal assets through bankruptcy. Secured the winery property and obtained favorable six-figure settlement for our client.
- Represented owner/investor in disposition of car wash property and related business asset sales.
- Represented creditor at arbitration of contract dispute, resulting in award for 100% of funds sought by creditor.
- Rated AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Attorney – Top Attorneys of North America: 2017
- Best Lawyers® in America Northern California –
Real Estate: Recognized since 2018
- Top Lawyer – Sacramento Magazine: 2015-2022
- Northern California Super Lawyer – Super Lawyers: 2008, 2014-2022
- Best of the Bar – Sacramento Business Journal:
- Women of Influence Award – CREW Sacramento: 2017
- Member – State Bar of California, Real Property Law
- Director – Folsom Economic Development Corporation
- Board Member and Former President – Folsom Chamber of Commerce
- Member – International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member – Association of Commercial Real Estate (ACRE)
- Member – ACRE’s Broker of the Year Awards Committee
- Member – Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Former Board Member – Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- Former Board Member – Institute of Real Estate Management
- Former Member – Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Man and Woman of the Year Committee
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., California State University, Sacramento
IN THE NEWS
Below are the most recent articles published featuring, referencing, or celebrating this attorney.
REAL ESTATE BROKERS
Information Exchange for Sacramento area commercial real estate brokers
Stay informed with periodic bulletins