Charles W. Trainor
Commercial Real Estate
Charles Trainor is the senior shareholder of Trainor Fairbrook, the AV-rated law firm that he founded in 1978. The firm includes the most experienced group of commercial real estate attorneys in California’s Central Valley.
Mr. Trainor represents clients on matters involving sophisticated real estate transactions including purchase and sale agreements, leases, partnership agreements and loan documentation. He also counsels lenders and borrowers regarding mortgage origination and workout matters. He has negotiated scores of loan and workout transactions, and advises both tenants and landlords regarding office and retail leases. His clientele includes developers, landowners, title companies, lending institutions, shopping center owners, property management entities and construction companies. His practice includes the development of master-planned communities, resort real estate and golf courses.
Mr. Trainor represents lending institutions with respect to their real estate loans in the Central Valley. He has also recently represented the sellers in one of the largest commercial real estate transactions in Sacramento’s history, the sale of six office buildings and land to a Texas-based REIT. Additionally, Mr. Trainor also represented the buyer in the largest land purchase in Sacramento’s history. He also has represented the land seller/partner in Sacramento’s newest regional mall development. Mr. Trainor represents the owners of dozens of office buildings and shopping centers in Northern California, and currently is representing several master-planned communities in their transactional matters. He and the firm also represent the owners of over a dozen public and private golf courses.
Mr. Trainor is a frequent lecturer for real estate industry associations and has taught numerous Continuing Education of the Bar courses to attorneys including Real Estate Broker Practice and Real Estate Purchase and Sale Agreements. He has also authored a number of articles relating to real estate and construction.
Mr. Trainor was the first attorney in Sacramento to be admitted to membership in both the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, which is an invitation-only organization of the top real estate attorneys in the nation, and the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, which is an invitation-only organization of the most highly regarded real estate mortgage attorneys in the nation. Mr. Trainor and Trainor Fairbrook are also actively involved in the Association of Commercial Real Estate as members, and as major sponsors of its Broker of the Year event and the Trainor Fairbrook Humanitarian Award.
- Rated AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyer in Real Estate Law – Best Lawyers in America Recognized Since 2007
- Top Lawyer – Sacramento Magazine
- Best of the Bar – Sacramento Business Journal
- Super Lawyer – Northern California Super Lawyers Recognized Since 2007
- Sacramento Real Estate Lawyer of the Year – Best Lawyers in America – 2018, 2011
- Samuel J. Cullers Award – Lambda Alpha International: 2013
- Foundation of Freedom Award – Pacific Legal Foundation: 2011
- FAME Award – Commercial Real Estate Women Sacramento: 2008
- Father of the Year Award – Center for Fathers and Families: 2006
- Power of 10 Award – Sacramento Crisis Nurseries: 2004
- Man of the Year – Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP) Charity Roast: 2003
- Attorney of the Year Award – Doctor-Lawyer Annual Charity Event: 2002
- Distinguished Alumni Award – California State University, Sacramento: 2001
- Sacramento Power Couple (with wife Paulette Trainor) – Sacramento Business Journal: 2015
- Member – State Bar of California, Business Law and Real Property Sections
- Member – American Bar Association, Real Property and Probate Section
- Member – American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Member – American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Member & Former President – Board of Trustees, Pacific Legal Foundation: 1998-Present
- Member & Former President – Board of Directors, Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Organization (SACTO)
- Member – Board of Directors, North State Building Industry Association
- Member – Lambda Alpha International
- Member – Association of Commercial Real Estate (ACRE)
- Member – Urban Land Institute
- Member – Board of Sacramento Pioneer Association
- Member – Sacramento Grandfathers Club
- Former President – Associates Council, North State Building Industry Association
- Former Member – Dean’s Council, McGeorge School of Law
- Former Chair – Sacramento Host Committee: 2014
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., Business Finance, California State University, Sacramento
IN THE NEWS
Below are the most recent articles published featuring, referencing, or celebrating this attorney.
11 Trainor Fairbrook Attorneys Named to 2020 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Nine Trainor Fairbrook Attorneys Recognized as 2019 Northern California Super Lawyers, Two named as “Rising Stars”
REAL ESTATE BROKERS
Information Exchange for Sacramento area commercial real estate brokers
Stay informed with periodic bulletins