January 27, 1966 - December 8, 2018
Michael Middleton was a shareholder and senior construction attorney in the Litigation Department of Trainor Fairbrook. His background as an attorney included the representation of clients in the areas of construction, business and employment/wage law. Mr. Middleton had over two decades of experience in civil litigation and alternative dispute resolution and had successfully participated in numerous jury trials, administrative hearings, binding arbitrations and mediations of construction employment and contract disputes.
Michael Middleton passed away suddenly in December of 2018. He was a good friend to all of us here at Trainor Fairbrook and will be dearly missed. He also was an excellent lawyer who will be immensely missed by his devoted clients and all who knew him.
- Favorably resolved construction defect litigation for a large plumbing subcontractor related to a $100 million hotel/condominium development in South Lake Tahoe, California.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial for a private school in a wrongful termination/harassment lawsuit brought by a former employee.
- Successfully resolved numerous Cal/OSHA complaints and citations on behalf of various general contractors and specialty contractors.
- Represented a large specialty contractor in a wage audit prosecution by the United States Department of Labor. The contractor was initially facing a ruling and penalties in excess of $200,000. After numerous hearings, the final award was below $14,000, with no penalties assessed.
- Currently defending a nationwide pipe manufacturer in a $2 million lawsuit filed by a large public entity related to system failure due to alleged installation and owner usage issues.
- Obtained a binding arbitration award in excess of $800,000 on behalf of the seller of an automotive business against the purchaser, after the purchaser failed to comply with the terms of the sale agreement. The initial demand to the purchaser was $200,000.
- Rated AV Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell
- Best of the Bar – Sacramento Business Journal:
- Top Lawyer – Sacramento Magazine: 2015-2018
- Member – State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Law and Litigation Sections
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – Sacramento County Bar Association, Construction Section (2018 - Chair)
- Member – Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange Legal Council
- Judge Pro Tem – El Dorado County
- Member – North State Building Industry Association
- 2018 Chair of the Sacramento County Bar Association - Construction Section; Former Vice-Chair (2017) Secretary (2016) and Treasurer (2015)
- Certified Fee Arbitrator - Sacramento County Bar Association
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., University of California, Davis
IN THE NEWS
Below are the most recent articles published featuring, referencing, or celebrating this attorney.
Best of Bar 2018
Trainor Fairbrook Attorneys Named Top Lawyers by Sacramento Magazine
REAL ESTATE BROKERS
Information Exchange for Sacramento area commercial real estate brokers
Stay informed with periodic bulletins